Have you ever heard about what is calabrese pizza?
If not, prepare to be delighted by this Italian speciality – its unique taste and texture will leave you wanting more! Perfect for any gathering or family mealtime, calabrese pizza is a great way to add a little extra something to your dishes. Don’t let the name fool you – it has nothing to do with Calabria (though it does have some local flair!). Instead, it’s an artfully crafted combination of carefully chosen ingredients that will make your mouth water.
In this blog post, we’ll go over what exactly makes up calabrese pizza and explore how easy it is for anyone from a home chef to a professional housewife to whip one up quickly in their kitchen.
Let’s know more about what is calabrese pizza!
What Is Calabrese Pizza?
Calabrese pizza is a type of pizza that originated in Calabria, a region in southern Italy. It typically features a thin crust that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, topped with San Marzano tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, spicy salami (known as Calabrese salami), and sometimes other toppings such as olives or peppers.
Calabrese salami is made from ground pork mixed with hot red pepper flakes, which gives it a spicy and slightly smoky flavor. The heat from the salami is balanced by the sweetness of the San Marzano tomato sauce and the creamy mozzarella cheese.
So, what is calabrese pizza? Calabrese pizza is known for its bold flavors and spicy kick, and it has become increasingly popular in pizzerias around the world.
Nutrition of Calabrese Pizza
The nutrition information of Calabrese pizza can vary depending on the specific recipe and the size of the pizza. However, here is a general idea of the nutrition content in a typical serving size of Calabrese pizza:
– Calories: A slice of Calabrese pizza can range from approximately 200 to 400 calories per slice, depending on the size and ingredients.
– Carbohydrates: A slice of Calabrese pizza can have anywhere from 20 to 50 grams of carbohydrates, depending on the crust and toppings.
– Protein: A slice of Calabrese pizza typically contains around 10 to 15 grams of protein, mostly from the cheese and salami.
– Fat: A slice of Calabrese pizza can contain 10 to 20 grams of fat, depending on the amount of cheese and salami used.
– Sodium: Calabrese pizza can be high in sodium due to the use of salty ingredients like salami and cheese. A slice can contain anywhere from 500 to 900 milligrams of sodium.
It is important to note that while Calabrese pizza can be a delicious treat, it is generally high in calories, fat, and sodium. It is best to enjoy it in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
The Differences between Calabrese Pizza and Other Pizzas
Calabrese pizza is a unique type of pizza that differs from other pizzas in several ways. Here are some of the key differences:
1. Toppings: Calabrese pizza is typically topped with spicy Calabrese salami, which gives it a distinct flavor and heat. Other pizzas may have different toppings, such as pepperoni, sausage, vegetables, or seafood.
2. Sauce: Calabrese pizza is traditionally made with San Marzano tomato sauce, which has a sweeter and less acidic flavor than other tomato sauces. Other pizzas may use different types of tomato sauce, or even no sauce at all.
3. Cheese: Calabrese pizza is usually topped with mozzarella cheese, which is melty and creamy. Other pizzas may use different types of cheese, such as Parmesan, ricotta, or goat cheese.
4. Crust: Calabrese pizza typically has a thin, crispy crust that is chewy on the inside. Other pizzas may have different types of crusts, such as thick or stuffed crusts.
5. Heat: Calabrese pizza is known for its spicy kick, thanks to the Calabrese salami. Other pizzas may have a milder flavor profile, or may be spiced with different ingredients.
Overall with the answer of what is calabrese pizza, Calabrese pizza stands out from other pizzas with its unique combination of spicy salami, sweet tomato sauce, and creamy cheese, all on a crispy, chewy crust.
How to Make Calabrese Pizza More Deliciously
Calabrese pizza is already a delicious dish, but here are some tips to make it even more flavorful:
1. Use high-quality ingredients: Start with fresh, high-quality ingredients like San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and spicy Calabrese salami. This will enhance the flavor and texture of the pizza.
2. Add fresh herbs: Top the pizza with fresh herbs like basil, oregano, or thyme to add a burst of flavor and aroma.
3. Experiment with different cheeses: While mozzarella is the traditional cheese used on Calabrese pizza, you can also try using other types of cheese like Parmesan or provolone for a different flavor profile.
4. Customize the toppings: While Calabrese salami is a classic topping, you can also experiment with other toppings like olives, peppers, onions, or mushrooms to make the pizza more interesting.
5. Adjust the spice level: If you like your pizza extra spicy, you can add more Calabrese salami or red pepper flakes. If you prefer a milder flavor, you can use less or omit the spicy ingredients altogether.
6. Use a pizza stone: Preheat a pizza stone in the oven before baking the pizza on it. This will help create a crispy, chewy crust.
7. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil: After the pizza comes out of the oven, drizzle it with a high-quality extra virgin olive oil for extra flavor and richness.
By following these tips of what is calabrese pizza, you can take your Calabrese pizza to the next level and make it even more delicious.
Noted Thing with Calabrese Pizza
Here are some important things to keep in mind when making or ordering Calabrese pizza:
1. Spiciness: Calabrese pizza is known for its spicy flavor, so if you are sensitive to heat, you may want to ask for the pizza to be made with less or no spicy ingredients.
2. Sodium content: Calabrese pizza can be high in sodium due to the use of salty ingredients like salami and cheese. If you are watching your sodium intake, you should be mindful of your portion size.
3. Allergens: Calabrese pizza may contain common allergens like wheat (in the crust), dairy (in the cheese), and pork (in the salami), so be sure to check with the restaurant or read the ingredient labels if you have any dietary restrictions.
4. Quality of ingredients: To ensure the best flavor and texture, it is important to use high-quality ingredients like fresh mozzarella, San Marzano tomatoes, and authentic Calabrese salami.
5. Cooking temperature: Calabrese pizza is best cooked at a high temperature, ideally in a wood-fired oven, to achieve a crispy crust and melty cheese.
By keeping these things of what is calabrese pizza in mind, you can enjoy your Calabrese pizza to the fullest and ensure that it meets your dietary needs and taste preferences.
In conclusion of what is calabrese pizza at OPS Pizza Kitchen & Pizza, Calabrese pizza is a delicious and unique type of pizza that originated in the southern Italian region of Calabria. It is typically made with a thin, crispy crust, San Marzano tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and spicy Calabrese salami. To make it even more delicious, you can use high-quality ingredients, experiment with different toppings and cheeses, and adjust the spice level to your liking. It is important to be mindful of the sodium content and allergens in the pizza, and to cook it at a high temperature for optimal flavor and texture. Overall, Calabrese pizza is a tasty and satisfying dish that is sure to please any pizza lover.
FAQs of What Is Calabrese Pizza
What is Calabrese Pizza actually?
Calabrese Pizza is a type of pizza that originated in the southern Italian region of Calabria.
What are the typical toppings on Calabrese Pizza?
Calabrese Pizza is typically topped with San Marzano tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and spicy Calabrese salami.
Is Calabrese Pizza spicy?
Yes, Calabrese Pizza is known for its spicy kick due to the use of Calabrese salami.
What type of cheese is used on Calabrese Pizza?
Mozzarella cheese is traditionally used on Calabrese Pizza.
Can Calabrese Pizza be made without meat?
Yes, Calabrese Pizza can be made without meat or with vegetarian meat substitutes.
What is the difference between Calabrese Pizza and other types of pizza?
Calabrese Pizza is known for its spicy flavor due to the use of Calabrese salami, and its sweet tomato sauce made from San Marzano tomatoes.
Can Calabrese Pizza be made gluten-free?
Yes, Calabrese Pizza can be made with gluten-free crust.
How is Calabrese Pizza traditionally cooked?
Calabrese Pizza is traditionally cooked in a wood-fired oven, but it can also be cooked in a regular oven.
What is the nutritional content of Calabrese Pizza?
The nutritional content of Calabrese Pizza can vary, but it is generally high in calories, fat, and sodium.
What is Calabrese Pizza with healthy option?
While Calabrese Pizza can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet, it is generally not considered a healthy food due to its high calorie and sodium content.